- August 8, 2022
- Posted by: hrdcoalitionAdmin
- Category: TORs
About the National Coalition of Coalition of Human Rights Defenders
The National Coalition of Human Rights Defenders Uganda (NCHRD-U) is a registered organization of various organizations and individual Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) that was formed in 2013. It seeks to strengthen the work of HRDs throughout the country through synergy and collaboration at national and international level to enhance the protection mechanisms for HRDs and their capacity to effectively defend human rights. NCHRD-U focuses its work in all regions in Uganda.
NCHRD-U’s mandate is to protect and promote the work of HRDs in a safe and secure environment through linkages with national, regional and international entities. Individuals and organizations working to promote the protection of Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) in Uganda constitute the NCHRD-U. Further information about the Organization and what its core activities can be found on our website: www.hrdcoalition.ug
The NCHRD-U over the last years has consolidated its credentials as the thought leader on protection of Human Rights Defenders in Uganda. The environment in which HRDs operate continues to be fluid and this necessitates a robust and systematic protection mechanism that is both preventive and responsive. The national HRD protection model implemented by the secretariat enables HRDs to access timely support as and when they require it. Through its programmatic areas Capacity Building, Advocacy and Emergency protection, the NCHRD-U seeks to reinforce the ability of HRDs to undertake their legitimate work. Additionally, the Coalition works to improve the safety and security of HRDs and the environment they operate.
2.0 ABOUT THE COMMUNICATION ROLE
This role entails implementing the communications strategy, creating content, enhancing NCHRD-U visibility and organizing events.
3.0 Objective of the assignment
The overall objective of this consultancy is to write and distribute content to promote the NCHRD-U organization’s brand, activities, or products and act as liaison between the organization, the public, and the media to ensure that the brand remains top of mind.
4.0 Scope of Work
The scope of work for the Consultant will include but not limited to:
- Implement the NCHRD-U communications strategy based on our target audience.
- Organize and conduct the communication component of project activities/events including drafting the background notes, media relations, taking photos, preparing talking points, invitations and press-releases
- Produce quality and appropriate information materials for different audiences (Monthly newsletter, social media update, identify and write project success stories and project factsheet)
- Edit and design all the documents to be shared externally or published by NCHRD-U
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports& activity reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products and/or services.
- Train selected staff on communication skills especially using social media tools, Photo and Video skills
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and document organizational engagements and share accordingly with the necessary audiences.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists, and maintain a media database.
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the brand, and coordinate publicity events as required.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Proficiency in design and publishing software and all NCHRD-U products.
- Manage the NCHRD-U website and other social media platforms.
The Consultant shall develop the most suitable methodology that aligns with the above envisaged scope of work and clearly lay it out in the technical proposal
6.0 Expected Deliverables
The key deliverables are:
- Submission of 1st newsletter on Projects’ achievements
- NCHRD-U key staff trained on communication skills especially using social media tools, Photo and Video skills
- NCDRD-U communications strategy implemented and adhered to.
- All NCHRD-U content well written, edited and distributed accordingly.
- All organizational engagements documented and shared with the necessary audiences.
- Effective relationships maintained with journalists and a media database in place.
- Reputation of the NCHRD-U brand enhanced and all publicity events coordinated.
- Records of media coverage documented.
- Design all NCHRD-U products before publishing.
- NCHRD-U website and other social media platforms effectively managed.
7.0 Duration of the Assignment
The assignment is expected to be carried out in a period of 6 months (not full time).
8.0 Budget and Payment
The consultant should provide an indicative financial proposal enumerated in Uganda Shillings.
9.0 Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of 2-5 years’ relevant experience in a communications role.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop).
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms.
Submitting of application/proposal
The Executive Director
National Coalition of Human Rights Defenders – Uganda
Plot 148, Semawata Road
Deadline: 12th August 2022,