ABOUT THE NATIONAL COALITION OF HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
The National Coalition of Human Rights Defenders Uganda (NCHRD-U) is a registered organization of various organizations and individual Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) that was formed in 2013. It seeks to strengthen the work of HRDs throughout the country through synergy and collaboration at national and international level to enhance the protection mechanisms for HRDs and their capacity to effectively defend human rights. NCHRD-U focuses its work in all regions in Uganda.
NCHRD-U’s mandate is to protect and promote the work of HRDs in a safe and secure environment through linkages with national, regional and international entities. Individuals and organizations working to promote the protection of Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) in Uganda constitute the NCHRD-U. Further information about the Organization and what its core activities can be found on our website: www.hrdcoalition.ug
The NCHRD-U over the last years has consolidated its credentials as the thought leader on protection of Human Rights Defenders in Uganda. The environment in which HRDs operate continues to be fluid and this necessitates a robust and systematic protection mechanism that is both preventive and responsive. The national HRD protection model implemented by the secretariat enables HRDs to access timely support as and when they require it. Through its programmatic areas Capacity Building, Advocacy and Emergency protection, the NCHRD-U seeks to reinforce the ability of HRDs to undertake their legitimate work. Additionally, the Coalition works to improve the safety and security of HRDs and the environment they operate.
2.0 About the Technical Thematic Working Group [TTWG]
The overall governance body of the NCHRD-U is the Annual General Assembly. The Board of Directors comes next in hierarchy with the TTTWG and Secretariat following in hierarchy respectively. One of the fundamental governance structures of the NCHRD-U is the TTWG which is constituted by 11 members inclusive of 7 thematic leaders and 5 regional representatives elected every three years. At inception of the coalition in 2013, specific thematic areas were identified as the most at risk HRDs in Uganda and the 7 thematic areas of focus presently are; Women HRDs, Journalists as HRDs, Youth, PWDs, Sexual Minorities, Environmental HRDs and Indigenous Minorities. The thematic areas are modified as and when need arises through resolution of the NCHRD-U’s Annual General Assembly. The NCHRD-U also has representation at regional level under the traditional five regions; East, West, North, South and Central. The TTWG is ideally supposed to inform the strategic areas of focus that the NCHRD-U should focus attention on and therefore influences programming through its reports and regular meetings.
The NCHRD-U secretariat seeks to further reinforce the operationalization of the TTWG from an informal setting to a more structured part element of the coalition hierarchy through developing a governance charter to inform and direct its scope of responsibilities and obligations. The secretariat therefore seeks services of a consultant to provide technical support towards generating the first blue-print of the NCHRD-U TTWG Governance Charter.
3.0 Objective of the assignment
The overall objective of this consultancy is to generate a Governance charter for NCHRD-U’s Technical Thematic working group specifically enlisting constitution, key responsibilities, obligations, and tenure of the working group.
4.0 Scope of Work
The scope of work for the Consultant will include but not limited to:
- Undertake a literature review of current NCHRD-U foundational documents.
- Generate an inception report detailing how the proposed assignment will be undertaken
- Benchmark similar organisations with existing structures and understand operations of its governance structures
- Undertake interviews with key stakeholders deemed relevant towards development of the Governance charter
- Develop and propose a draft governance charter for NCHRD-U’s TTWG
- Facilitate a strategic meeting to validate the draft Governance charter
- Finalize and submit to NCHRD-U Management a final Governance charter
- Orient the initial TTWG on election in the usage and application of the adopted Governance Charter
The Consultant shall develop the most suitable methodology that aligns with the above envisaged scope of work and clearly lay it out in the technical proposal
6.0 Expected Deliverables
The key deliverables are:
- Technical Thematic Working Group Governance Charter
- One orientation meeting of the initial Technical Thematic Working Group elected in May,2022
7.0 Duration of the Assignment
The assignment is expected to be carried out in a period of 21 working days
8.0 Budget and Payment
The consultant should provide an indicative financial proposal enumerated at a daily budget rate in Uganda Shillings.
9.0 Qualifications and Experience
- Academic Qualifications Relevant Master’s degree in any of the following academic disciplines: Organizational development and management; Law, Human Rights, Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Experience: Over five year’s professional experience in strategic planning and management consultancy; experience in human rights work, Prior work experience in the carrying organisational governance and structural adjustments for NGOs
- Demonstrated experience undertaking similar assignments over the last five years.
- Skills and Competencies:
- Proven excellent written and oral communications skills in English;
- Application/use of innovative and effective tools for stakeholder’s engagement in the collection of required information and feedback;
- Must be results-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high level of enthusiasm, tacit, diplomacy and integrity;
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and professional skills in respect to engagement with stakeholders and partners;
- Experience in research, policy development, management and programming-related work.
- Ability to work efficiently and deliver on committed outputs under the assignment within agreed timelines and deadlines
10.0 Application Process
Interested candidates should submit their Technical proposal, Curriculum Vitae and financial proposal to email: [email protected] to reach us not later than 5:00pm on Saturday 2nd April, 2022.
Please quote “TTWG GOVERNANCE CHARTER 2022” in the Email subject line.
NCHRD-U considers equal opportunities for all and therefore encourages Women and PWDs to apply. Due to usually high number of bids, only the successful candidate will be contacted.