United in our mission we provide a platform for promoting synergy, cooperation, collaboration and sharing of best practices among HRDs in Uganda to overcome challenges faced. The NCHRD-U came to life during its launch in June 2013.
This gathering drew together over 58 different organizations in the HRD sector from across the country. While meeting and discussing ways to improve protection of HRDs, it became clear that Uganda needed a structured, inclusive and consistent platform to enable HRDs work together to galvanize efforts of the different players, bring together the isolated and divided voices into a unified and bigger voice required to undertake collective advocacy on overarching sensitive issues affecting HRDs in Uganda.
Finally participants voiced a need to implement a major recommendation of bringing together HRDs that was highlighted in the 2012 Annual HRD report. NCHRD-U focuses its work in all the regions in Uganda and embraces all HRDs regardless of race, colour, gender, religion or political affiliation.
Through the work of the NCHRD-U, we hope;
- To create an avenue for collective response to threats against HRDs.
- To coordinate other civil society organizations in promoting safety and security of HRDs
- To improve protection mechanisms, safety and security of HRDs in Uganda individually and security of HRDs in Uganda individually and at organization level.
- To advocate and raise public awareness and profiles of HRDs in the country.
To protect and promote the work of HRDs in a safe and secure environment through linkages with national, regional and international like-minded entities.
A society that upholds the dignity and rights of every human rights defender.
In all that we do, we shall be guided by the following values;
- Transparency and accountability
- Team work